Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Cleanse with Krissy Leigh Ruddy

Today I'd like to feature the lovely Krissy Ruddy. She is a friend and customer and fellow Burlingtonian and a lovely goddess woman who is a certified holistic health coach and yoga teacher. I've been following her on Facebook and Instagram and today she is starting a 5 day kitchari cleanse and I'm inspired (along with others) to join her. 

I've never done a cleanse before but I did first read about kitchari on Krissy's blog a year ago and since then I've made this dish for dinner several times. It's so delicious and so perfect for this time of year. 

(This photo is from Krissy's site, I'm always so impressed with her food photos and videos - so beautiful.) Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic dish that's known for its ability to detox the body and balance all three doshas: vata, pitta, and kapha. The goal is to cleanse the body in a gentle manner, kitchari provides ample nutrients while pushing the junk out of your body. It's made with mung beans, basmati rice, seasonal vegetables, ghee, and spices. Mung beans are known for their ability to remove toxins from the body and they are a great source of protein. The key is to use seasonal ingredients of what's available locally because Ayurveda is linked to the natural transition of the seasons. Last week I listened to Krissy's webinarshe is so knowledgeable and her manner is very honest, warm, funny and real. I truly enjoyed listening while I finished up a bunch of jewelry. I'm a bit nervous but excited to try this little adventure with the support of Krissy and others. If you're interested, grab the ingredients and try it too! 

No comments: